Nags Head has two multi-use paths. The eleven mile oceanside path runs from the Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills line south along NC 12 (South Virginia Dare Trail) and NC 1243 (South Old Oregon Inlet Road). A similar path also runs along the west side of US 158 (South Croatan Highway) from the Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills line south to the entrance of Jockey's Ridge State Park at Hollowell Street. Both paths are ideal for biking, walking, jogging, skateboarding, and inline skating.
To help improve your experience and safety when on Nags Head's paths, the Town strongly encourages all users to abide by the following safety guidelines:
- Be Courteous, Share the Path and Keep Right: Please walk and bike on the right side of the path to facilitate two-way traffic and using caution when passing other path users. All path users should respect other users regardless of their mode, speed or skill level. Parents, please keep children from wandering into road.
- Pedestrians Have the Right of Way: Faster moving path users, such as bicyclists, inline skaters, and skateboarders should yield to walkers and joggers. When the path is busy, ride single file.
- Communicate Before Passing: Give a clear warning signal before passing such as using a bell or horn or yelling "on your left" to alert those in front of you. Be aware that other people may want to pass you.
- Pass On the Left: Pass others going in your direction on their left. Look ahead and back to make sure the lane is clear before you pull out. Pass with ample separation. Do not move back to the right until safely past.
- Maintain a Safe Speed: Please slow down when nearing driveway openings or intersections, passing other users, or when conditions dictate. Bicyclists will typically be the fastest traffic on a path.
- Use Caution at Street Crossings and Intersections: Please slow and stop at all street crossings and use caution when proceeding into an intersection, even when using a marked crosswalk.
- Keep Pets on Short Leashes & Remove Pet Waste: Dogs are welcome, but please keep them on a short leash to keep the path safe for all users. Additionally, please pick-up after your pet and deposit full bags in trash receptacles.
- Respect Private Property, Stay on the Path: Please stay on the path adjacent to private property at all times.
- Be Safe: Because sections of the path may be unlighted, it’s good to consider only using it in daylight hours.
- Wear a Helmet: It’s always smart to wear them. In North Carolina, every person under 16 years old must wear an approved bicycle helmet when operating a bicycle on any public road, public bicycle path, or other public right-of-way.
- No Motorized Vehicles: Motorized vehicles are not allowed at any time. However, please note that to maintain the path you may occasionally encounter maintenance vehicles and lawn mowers on and alongside the trail.
- No Parking: Please do not park, stop, or stand your vehicle either partially or wholly on any section of the path except when necessary to avoid a conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a police officer or traffic control device.
- In an Emergency, Call 911
- Report non-emergency concerns to the Town of Nags Head Public Works Department at 252-441-1122.